Thursday, January 28, 2021

Read, your life depends on it

I learned to read when I was 5, and have kept on ever since. I read about history, politics, medicine, space research, wartime, sports, music, robotics, arts, Wild West and future - you name it. I have visited places and times that are out of my reach, met people whom I would never meet, and learned more than I ever could have imagined as child.
When it comes to books, I'm a hoarder. Later on, I have downsized my collection and only buy books I'll read many times, one-timers I get from the library. I do have tried e-books and audio, but as long as my hands can hold a book, I love to feel it and turn real pages.
This is an addiction, I must admit. A junkie needs the daily dose, an alkoholic craves for a drink, a tictoccer can't stop watching just one more video. I can't go to bed because I'll just read one more chapter. And then some more.
Luckily, there's a silver lining to this cloud - reading is "a good hobby"😇. Skip the gym, let the dust gather, feed the troops with takeout and forget the mil's birthday - selfcare is a trend, and reading is fuel for your mind.
It's ok to skip Tolstoy, Austen, Dickens and Kafka - go ahead and pass Rowling, Follett, King and Cornwell, too, if you like. Read comics, fanfiction, song texts and whatever - the point is to read, and you'll always pick up something new. It may not change your life, but knowing things is always for the better. While you're at it, remember to give beloved Douglas Adams a try 📚😉!
☆☆☆
Opin lukemaan 5-vuotiaana, ja se oli menoa. Olen tutustunut historiaan, politiikkaan, lÀÀketieteeseen, avaruustutkimukseen, sota-aikaan, urheiluun, musiikkiin, robotiikkaan, taiteeseen, Villiin LÀnteen ja tulevaisuuteen - mihin vain. Olen kÀynyt paikoissa ja ajoissa joihin en muuten pÀÀsisi, tavannut ihmisiÀ joita en muuten tapaisi, ja oppinut enemmÀn kuin ikinÀ lapsena osasin kuvitella.
☆☆☆
Kun on kyse kirjoista, olen hamstraaja. Viime vuosina olen karsinut kokoelmaa, ja ostan omaksi vain kirjoja jotka luen monta kertaa, "kertakÀyttöiset" saa kirjastosta. Olen kyllÀ kokeillut myös ÀÀni- ja e-kirjoja, mutta niin kauan kuin kÀdet pelaavat, haluan pidellÀ kirjaa ja kÀÀntÀÀ oikeita sivuja.
☆☆☆
TÀmÀ on riippuvuus, sitÀ ei voi kiistÀÀ. Narkkari tarvitsee satsinsa, juoppo juomansa, tiktok-addiktin tÀytyy nÀhdÀ vielÀ yksi video. MinÀ en voi mennÀ nukkumaan kun luen vielÀ yhden luvun. Ja sitten pari lisÀÀ.
☆☆☆
Onneksi tĂ€llĂ€ pilvellĂ€ on hopeareunus - lukeminen on "hyvĂ€ harrastus" 😇. Skippaa jumpat, anna pölyn kertyĂ€, ruoki vĂ€kesi noutoruoalla ja unohda anopin synttĂ€rit - itsestĂ€ huolehtiminen on trendi, ja lukeminen on mielen polttoainetta.
☆☆☆
Ei tarvitse lukea Tolstoita, Austenia, DickensiĂ€ tai Kafkaa - ohita myös Rowling, Follett, King ja Cornwell, jos siltĂ€ tuntuu. Lue sarjakuvia, fanficciĂ€, laulujen sanoituksia tai mitĂ€ vain - kunhan luet, niin samalla opit aina jotain uutta. Se ei ehkĂ€ muuta elĂ€mÀÀsi, mutta tieto on silti edistystĂ€. ÄlĂ€kĂ€ unohda kokeilla Douglas Adamsia 📚😉!

No comments:

Post a Comment